Things to Keep in Mind while Hiring Stone Grinding Services in Melbourne
The process of removing protruding parts of a stone through drastic sanding and cutting is grinding. Whenever the surface becomes uneven especially due to lippage which happens when adjacent tile modules differ in elevation it may require grinding or honing. Grinding should be done when the elevation difference exceeds 1/8th of an inch.
Reasons to do stone grinding
- A flat smooth floor is always desired for aesthetic reasons.
- Flat surfaces keep dirt and grime away from being accumulated
- Flat smooth surfaces will definitely improve the quality of the stone
- Stone grinding enhances quality, smoothness and natural color of the stone
- Stone grinding removes stains that can’t be removed by cleaning
Stone Grinding, Honing, and Polishing
- The grinding removes excess stone by using metal bonded diamond grit. However, the porosity of the stone remains intact and the process is dust free.
- Honing involves a lesser aggressive approach as less coarse objects are used to smoothen the stone. The result is often a matte finish. Grinding and honing are similar and the former is often followed by the latter. Often grinding is skipped altogether as honing leaves a finer and smoother finish.
- Polishing is a final stage when higher grit compounds are used to achieve a very smooth shining finish.
Grinding, honing and polishing are done in combination or in accordance with the requirement to achieve the best results.
Important things to keep in mind while hiring grinding services
- The stone grinding process is absolutely safe as most care is taken by professionals to keep the surrounding areas protected. The chemicals are eco-friendly and non-toxic.
- All kinds of finishes are available for both indoor and outdoor areas. Stone grinding can be done on polished, porous, matte or pre-sealed surfaces.
- All kinds of natural stone surfaces like marble, limestone, bluestone, granite, travertine, and sandstone are safe to do stone grinding and polishing.
- Stone grinding usually doesn’t take very long time though it depends on the area of the surface to be done. Professionals can do it in a couple of days if the area is large enough.
- A water-based sealer is recommended to be applied to make the stone grinding process and polish remain intact for a longer period of time.
- Water is used in most of the processes as it minimizes the production of dust.
- Only high-quality machines and non-toxic chemicals must be used to maintain the safety of the natural stones. The work should be done by reputed stone grinding professionals in Melbourne.
- Customized procedures can be applied depending upon the need of the stone surface. Always aggressive grinding may not be required as only honing and polishing can be enough to bring back the luster.
- It’s very important to ensure that the professionals are experts at their work and have enough skills and expertise to do the work without harming the natural stone.